Monday, November 1, 2010

Quarterfinal Monday

My thoughts…

Lincoln at Stevens – can the Pats beat the Raiders twice? I don’t think so.

O’Gorman at Watertown – I’ve never been sold on Watertown and, to a fault, I’ve been oversold on O’G. I’ll take the Knights.

West Central at St. Thomas More – I think the Trojans are going to be a major factor in the playoffs, but this is a tough game. The toughest part will be the travel, but on the field, I think West Central gets it done.

I really like the matchups in 11B. All eight teams have, at one point or another, been in our top five rankings. My “upset” pick is Redfield/Doland over Mobridge. Given the way this class has gone, I could see anything happening on Monday.

Nothing really jumps out at me in 9AA, though the Viborg/Hurley vs. Deubrook game could be interesting.

After Hanson and Avon lost in the middle of the year, our 9A rankings took a hit. I relentlessly voted for Corsica/Stickney as the top team, while Sully Buttes kept appearing at the top of the poll. Those two teams eventually lost on the same night, vaulting Hanson and Avon back to the top two spots, respectively. Hanson and Avon should roll on Monday, but I’m very intrigued by the Corsica/Stickney vs. Sully Buttes game. I’m picking Corsica/Stickney.

In 9B, I think the one game that sticks out as a pretty good game is Gettysburg (where the battle wasn’t) and Colome. It could go either way but I’m going with Gettysburg.

Game by game picks:

11AA –
Washington over Pierre
Stevens over Lincoln
Roosevelt over Yankton
O’Gorman over Watertown

11A –
Dells over Tea
West Central over STM
Harrisburg over Little wound
Hot Springs over Canton

11B –
Tri Valley over Flandreau
Roncalli over Wagner
Winner over Bon Homme
Redfield/Doland over Mobridge

9AA –
BEE over WL/Plank
Chester over Philip
Leola/Frederick over Herreid/Selby
Viborg/Hurley over Deubrook

9A –
Harding Co. over Andes Central
Corscia/Stickney over Sully buttes
Hanson over Tri-State
Avon over Wilmot

9B –
Canistota over Langford
Gettysburg over Colome
DRSM over Faulkton
H-T over Timber Lake

I’m very excited about our coverage, as I feel we’ve got another strong lineup of games to showcase. In addition to highlights from around 15 games, we’ll have all the scores from around the state as well as northwest Iowa.

Jim Nelson
KSFY Sports

Twitter: @JimNelsonKSFY

No comments:

Blog Archive

South Dakota High School Football