Friday, October 8, 2010

Sneak Peak at Friday Night Lights

Here we are, preparing for yet another week of high school football.

If you’re only planning one outing this weekend, go see Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps. I saw it Thursday and I highly recommend it.

If you’re planning on MORE THAN ONE outing this weekend, why not get started with one of the following high school football games?

These are just a few of the games we’ll be at for Friday Night Lights, which of course airs weekly at 10:10 or so on KSFY.

Hard to pick a game of the night, but I think its 9A #4 Avon at 9A #2 Corsica/Stickney. I’m huge on Corsica/Stickney because they’ve completely dominated everyone they’ve played, including an Andes Central team that some people thought had a lot of potential. Then there’s Avon. While they’ve lost once this season, you’d be foolish not to think they won’t be in the thick of things come playoff time. This should be a fun game and I won’t be surprised with either team winning. If I had to pick, though, I’d say Corsica/Stickney wins a close one.

Elsewhere in the nine-man game, 9AA #3 Chester will host 9B #2 Canistota, which should be a nice contest. I’ve seen the Flyers play a few times this year and I’m very high on them. Their only loss came to Howard, who still figures to factor in down the stretch. Canistota is unbeaten and has a lot to play for. I’m not so sure they wouldn’t beat the top-ranked team in their class, given the injury bug has bitten DRSM, but it’s a moot point this week.

Continuing with the smaller schools – and it’s become apparent that this week is all about the nine-man game – 9AA #2 Bridgewater-Emery/Ethan is playing its first afternoon game of the season when the Seahawks welcome White Lake/Plankinton to Ethan. The Hawks picked up a nice win against Howard last week and WL/P beat Mt. Vernon. BEE is clearly coming off a better win, but both should have a little momentum. That said, it’s tough to imagine the Hawks losing this one.

In the 11-man game, it’s probably going to be somewhat of a tame evening. I like the Sturgis at Roosevelt matchup. I don’t see Roosevelt, ranked #3 in our rankings, losing this game, but I certainly envision a good battle. Sturgis is not a bad team and Roosevelt seems to play everyone close. They beat a decent Brandon Valley team by five points and without recovering an onside kick, may have lost. However, the Roosevelt defense has been pretty reliable this season, in fact it’s the primary reason they’re 4-1.

The last game I want to touch on is perhaps the Minnesota game of the week, at least for the portion we cover. Edgerton/Ellsworth, ranked #4 in Minnesota’s 9-man class, travels the short distance to Hills-Beaver Creek, who dropped out of the top ten after a loss to #2 Nicollet. I think the AP got in wrong there, as Nicollet only beat HBC by ONE POINT! The Patriots have outscored opponents 176 to 69 this season. There are better margins of victory out there, but that’s pretty good. Don’t get me wrong, HBC has their work cut out. Edgerton/Ellsworth has scored less than 60 points just twice. They dropped 40 once and 54 the other. Expect highlights.

Again, that’s just a small sampling of what’s ahead later tonight on KSFY. Keep in mind; you can follow me on twitter: @JimNelsonKSFY

I try to provide as many updates as possible while making my rounds each Friday night. Plus, you’ll get some unwanted life coaching tips throughout the week.

Jim Nelson
KSFY Sports

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jim,
So are you going to end this man-crush you have for Chester now? They got embarrassed tonight. Maybe now you will give some of the other 9 man teams and players the respect that they deserve.

Thanks!

Blog Archive

South Dakota High School Football